1. Loot immediate area, drop rucksacks near camper but not in it.
2. Find a car.
3. Drive back to camper and put rucksacks in it.
4. Drive to new base. I like Kirkman's or Savini's depending on which one I'm closer to.
Why Kirkman's or Savini's? Keep in mind my situation: my characters are 7 stars and nobody is injured/sick. I only need 8 beds and a kitchen for now. Savini's has better immediate access to supplies, but at this point I know all the best fields and locations to loot that I need with 90% chance of the specific supplies I want being there. Kirkman's is easier to get outposts set up in because the houses have very little loot, but you have to drive a little further for the oil and materials you need.
5. Only build what I absolutely need. If I have no sick or injured, I don't build a medical facility. I usually build the gun tower. That's it. Don't worry, you can leave blank spots on your home tab, even if Lilly protests.
6. I rotate between looting and building outposts. I only loot nearby buildings that I know have supplies I want or are needed for an outpost. If anyone isn't perfectly happy, I use them to do this.
7. Once this is done it's usually night, so I spend that time driving and looking for the RV. I have the spots all memorized so only the forests are dangerous to traverse at night (and I will save them for daytime). While going around the map I will get what I need from stops along the way.
8. Once the RV is found it's just a matter of grabbing what's needed and I spend the hour or so this takes doing easy missions to sell off my excess items in my stash to other groups. If I REALLY need help getting supplies I will recruit a new group of survivors and parade them around the map until I have the supplies and then return them to base.
Six Examples of easy, guaranteed loot:
- Bridges leading to the north section (blocked off for most of the single player campaign) will have medicine or ammo.
- The fields south of the farm have guaranteed materials and oil caches. There are three oil (including a shed) and three materials locations.
- The large warehouse southwest of the farm always has great oil and materials.
- The warehouse just east of Snyders has the most oil/materials chance in the game.
- The building just west of the Alamo has a street entrance with guaranteed materials.
- There are oil drums in the fields just north / across the road of the east most entrance to Marshal.
All these places are easy to loot and safe with the use of a firework or leaving your car far from your destination like I mentioned in the Safe Areas post.